The Asia Regional Advisory Group on Aquatic Animal Health meets annually to discuss regional disease issues including emerging disease threats. This is the report of the seventh meeting, held 21-23 November 2016, Bangkok, Thailand. The report discusses emerging disease problems and regional response including to:
- Finfish diseases: Viral nervous necrosis, Red Sea bream iridoviral disease, ranadviruses, epizootic haematopoietic necrosis, grouper iridoviral disease, tilapia lake iridovirus, Group B Streptococcus, S. agalactiae.
- Crustacean diseases: Whitespot syndrome virus, yellow head virus type-1 and type-8, covert mortality nodavirus, infectious myonecrosis virus, taura syndrome virus, infectious hypodermal and haematopoietic necrosis virus, abdominal segment deformity disease, Laem-Singh virus, monodon slow growth syndrome, hepatopancreatic parvovirus, monodon baculovirus, acute hepatopancreatic necrosis disease, Vibrio parahaemolyticus, Vibrio harveyi, Enterocytozoon hepatopenaei, white faeces syndrome, Spiroplasma eriocheiris, Macrobrachium rosenbergii Taihu virus, M. nipponense reovirus, Cherax quadricarinatus iridovirus.
- Amphibian and mollusc diseases: Pacific oyster mortality syndrome (ostreid herpesvirus-1 microvariant), Perkinsus spp. and Vibrio spp., Bonameia ostreae, Batrachochtrium dendrobatidis.
Other issues discussed included:
- Progress of NACA's Aquatic Animal Health Programme.
- Outcomes of the OIE General Session and Aquatic Animal Health Standards Commission meetings, 2016.
- Disease reporting, including changes to the OIE list of notifiable diseases and establishment of a global online reporting system (WAHIS) by OIE.
- Review of the Quarterly Aquatic Animal Disease Reporting System.
- Progress in implementation of the the Regional Technical Guidelines on Health management for the Responsible Movement of Live Aquatic Animals.
- Identification and designation of regional aquatic animal health resources, including experts, centres and reference laboratories.
- Regional and international cooperation.
- Anti-microbial use and resistance in Asia's livestock, aquaculture and crop production systems.